Demands, following appeal by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, Chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, Dr Kayode Fayemi, and other stakeholders
NARD said this in a communiqué issued in Abuja on Sunday and signed by its President, Dr Aliyu Sokomba; Secretary-General, Dr Bilqis Muhammad; and Publicity Secretary, Dr Stanley Egbogu, after its National Executive Council meeting, attended by over 300 members.
Sokomba, who read the communiqué to journalists, said, “The NEC deliberated extensively on the ongoing NARD strike that commenced on June 15, 2020 following her Emergency General Meeting to consider the federal and state governments’ responses to the minimum requirements.
“The NEC acknowledges the provision of the Personal Protective Equipment to some hospitals. These PPEs are consumables and non-reusable, therefore the need for sustained supply.”
The union said COVID-19 inducement allowance “has only been paid to 11 federal health institutions and most state governments have yet to review the hazard allowance of health workers.”
NARD also said it observed during the meeting that the medical residency training funding had been included in the revised 2020 budget through the intervention of the Speaker, House of Representatives and would be implemented as soon as the budget was assented to by the President.
“At the same time, we await the fulfillment of the promise made by the Nigeria Governors’ Forum to ensure same is done in all the states.
“On the salary shortfall for 2014-2016, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation has promised to intervene. Government has shown commitment to procure group life insurance for health workers.”
It said the strike succeeded in putting many lives, including those of members of NARD, at risk while it lasted.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said this at a press conference he addressed in Abuja on Sunday shortly before the association suspended its strike, which he described as inexplicable.
Mohammed was joined at the press conference by the Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire; and the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige.
The association had embarked on the strike at the expiration of the 14-day ultimatum issued to the Federal Government on June 1.
But Mohammed said, “There is no doubt that the strike has impacted negatively on public health, putting many lives, including those of their members, at risk. This is not right and it clearly negates the Hippocratic Oath to which the doctors subscribe.
“While the Federal Government continues to engage the resident doctors in negotiation, we want to use this opportunity to appeal to them to respect their oath and put life above other considerations. This is an ill-timed and ill-considered strike.”
He said the implementation of the residency training programme was backed by the National Assembly, which provided N4bn in the revised 2020 budget, while the Ministry of Health was working with the Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission to build a template to guarantee same in the Personnel Cost of 2021 Budget.
The minister said 55,031 health workers in 35 COVID-19 designated hospitals and medical centres had been paid special hazard allowances totaling N4,642,485,146.00 as of Sunday.
Mohammed said the government had also paid N9bn as premium for Group Life Insurance to all health workers.
He said, “The government has bent over backwards to meet the demands of the striking doctors. We must express the government’s consternation that resident doctors will choose a time like this, when we are battling a pandemic, to embark on a strike.”
Ademola T. Ajibola, ATA steps down from 2023 race.
AMVCA- Actress Bukunmi Oluwasina celebrates with Odunlade Adekola.
Uche Jombo speaks out about his alleged relationship with Rita Dominic’s husband.
Sina Rambo and his wife welcome a baby girl.
Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate For 17th May 2022
Iyabo Ojo despises her daughter’s rumoured relationship with Kiss Daniel.
Mummy Wa tells KFN about the type of man she desires.
Dunsin Oyekan commemorates his wife’s death .
Portable celebrates double Headies nominations, says he worked for it
WHO confirms 131 cases of monkeypox in Europe, US
Residents of Oyo lament as rainwater floods road
Two people killed in Anambra tanker explosion
CBN increases interest rate to 13.5%
Full list of the 2022 Headies nominations
Mbappe reveals the Serie A club he’d like to play for
EFCC storms Okorocha’s residence in Abuja to arrest him
Join us on Facebook
Entertainment2 days ago
Caroline Danjuma discusses how she spent $30 million because producers couldn’t afford her.
Entertainment5 days ago
BBNaija Mercy Eke claims she doesnt believe Faithful men still exist.
News5 days ago
Two people killed as violence erupts in Mowe-Ofada, Iyana Ipaja
Entertainment4 days ago
Blossom Chukwujekwu marries new wife years after marriage crashed.
Entertainment2 days ago
Eldee believes that attributing Afrobeat success to Beyonce is disrespectful.
News2 days ago
Subscribers complain as FG imposes new N90.49bn tax on phone calls
Politics5 days ago
APGA stops sale of nomination forms
Sports2 days ago
Dramatic comeback sees Man City win the 21/22 Premier League