Three farmers were killed by gunmen in Plateau State’s Bassa Local Government Area.
The PUNCH gathered that the three victims were on their way to the farm when they were shot dead by the gunmen on Monday morning.
The incident, it was gathered, occurred at the Renwienku community in the Miango district of the council area where gunmen had killed someone five days ago after they attacked some farmers in the locality. Others had escaped the attack.
Spokesman for the Miango Youths Development Association, Nuhu Bitrus, confirmed the latest attack on the farmers to our correspondent in Jos on Monday.
Bitrus said, “It was around 7 am on Monday when some villagers heard some gunshots.
“When they rushed to the scene, they discovered the bodies of three villagers lying dead on the bush path in the pool of their own blood. The victims just left their homes at Renwienku village a few minutes earlier and were going to their farms when they were shot dead on the way”
A resident of the community, Friday Bulus who lamented the killings gave the names of the victims as Friday Yakubu, 39; Sunday Nah, 45 and Musa Evi who he said was 57 years old.
Bulus said that the three corpses had been evacuated from the bush to the community for burial.
“I’m just at the place now where we are making arrangement to bury the victims. The community is not happy over the continued attacks and killing of our people in this manner. This is not the first time this is happening to us. About five days ago, one farmer was killed while some others escaped after they were attacked on their farm. And now, they have killed three persons again.
“We reported the previous incident to the Special Task Force and the police and we have also reported this latest killing to them.
“We want them to stop those killing our people for no reason and ensure that justice is done.
“How can our people continue to be killed while going to look for food in their farms. This is unacceptable to us”
The Spokesman for state Police Command, Ubah Ogaba was not immediately available for comment when contacted but the Military Information Officer, Operation Safe Haven, Major Ishaku Takwa said he would get back to our correspondent over the incident but he was yet to do so as at the time of filing this report