The Lagos StateGovernor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, while addressing the public on the pandemic in the state this evening has said that cases of COVID-19 has increased because the state have ramped up testing for the virus.
Sanwo-Olu also said it is dangerous to lie about your travel history or contact history to healthcare workers.
He then advised that members of the society should desist from stigmatization when it comes to people infected with COVID-19.
Other highlights from the press briefing includes:
– Lagos State is in the process of reviewing applications from private hospitals who want to be able to treat COVID-19 cases.
– From next week, the state is going to be making face masks compulsory.
– On security, the situation has improved considerably in the past couple of days. Various criminals, up to 150, have been picked up and are being prosecuted.
– On Ramadan, obey the laws of the land and note that any gathering of people numbering above 25 is not acceptable.
Responding to questions from the press, Mr. Governor noted the following:
Lagos is now seeing a slow spread of community transmission of COVID19 and as such we are considering mandatory use of face masks in our plan to contain #COVID19.
The rise in new cases is as a success of our house-to-house contact tracing and ramping up of tests across 20 LGAs. pic.twitter.com/qzjwvGz7pB
– On the hazard allowance for health workers which a reporter, Dayo, said was pegged at ₦5000, Mr. Governor noted it as fake news and urged the reporter to make investigative journalism as there are now plans to increase allowance for this month; the least person he said earns as low as ₦20,000.
– Reacting to the response that the hospital First Cardiology Consultant, FCC, Ikoyi denied having the late Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari despite the Commissioner for Health confirming it, Mr. Governor reacted that the wrong person probably answered the question based on how the journalist asked. He however noted that the hospital was duly accredited even before the arrival of the late Chief of Staff.
– People who lied about their travel history will be apprehended and prosecuted as the government is working on 3-4 names and will be published and made scapegoats.