Connect with us

News

COVID-19: Over 2,000 Nigerians abroad register for evacuation.

Published

on

The range of Nigerians who have registered for evacuation on account of the COVID-19 pandemic has swelled to over 2,000.

It was gathered on Friday that majority of them are in the United States, United Kingdom, China and the United Arab Emirates.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs had closing week directed Nigerian missions overseas to bring together a listing of stranded Nigerian nationals who want to come again home.

It noted that the monetary implications would be borne by using the potential evacuees, who would additionally be compulsorily quarantined on arrival.

In response to the directive, the Nigerian Consulate in New York, United States, and the Nigerian High Commission in the UK introduced in a assertion on Sunday that they had begun compiling names of Nigerians inclined to return home.

Providing an replace on the registration exercise on Friday, a supply said, “Over 2,000 Nigerians have registered and expressed interest in returning home. Most of them are in the US, UK, China and UAE. They have been scared via the big dying toll being stated in these countries and they have expressed the willingness to bear assessments for COVID-19 earlier than coming and be on obligatory quarantine on arrival in Nigeria.”

When asked if the evacuees would pay for their flights earlier than or after returning to Nigeria, the respectable directed similarly inquiries to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission.

The NIDCOM Chief Executive Officer, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, validated that the range of people registering for evacuation used to be growing however declined in addition comment.

She directed our correspondent to the Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, on the modalities for the evacuation, including that the minister would take the necessary selections on the evacuation price and different issues.

But the minister had but to react to our inquiries as of the time of submitting this report.

The ministry had additionally suggested Nigerians to remain the place they were, noting that medical professionals stated visitors had been at a greater risk of contracting the disease.

It stated the Nigerian Missions had persisted to liaise with different international locations as properly as global firms and render reviews on key developments, with a view to boosting the home efforts returned home.

The ministry advised, “Furthermore, our Heads of Mission have maintained conversation with the management of the ministry at this period, to hold the ministry knowledgeable of the conditions of Nigerians in their respective host countries.

“However, it ought to be mentioned that scientific specialists have suggested that it is higher for men and women to stay the place they are as humans journeying from one vicinity to every other stand a greater risk of getting contaminated with COVID-19.”

Meanwhile, Onyeama has summoned the Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Dr Zhou Pingjian, over the alleged maltreatment of Nigerians in Guangzhou, China, with the aid of the police and state officials.

The ministry verified in a tweet with the aid of ‘@Nigeria MFA’ on Thursday that Onyeama engaged with the envoy over the eviction and stigmatisation of Nigerians in China.

It said, “The Hon Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, invited the Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Zhou Pingjian, to talk the Nigerian government’s intense problem at allegations of maltreatment of Nigerians in Guangzhou, China and known as for instant Chinese government’s intervention.”

A viral video had proven some Nigerians in Guangzhou being evicted from their properties and chased down the avenue via Chinese policemen.

The Chinese officers had been additionally stated to have confiscated the passports of the Nigerians.

A second viral video additionally confirmed a Nigerian diplomat in China berating a Chinese reputable over the incident.

Meanwhile, the Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, has reiterated the get to the bottom of of the Federal Government to shield Nigerians anywhere they are.

Dabiri-Erewa stated this in opposition to the backdrop of the alleged maltreatment of Nigerians by way of Chinese officials.

She requested the Chinese authorities no longer to make discriminatory legal guidelines in opposition to Nigerians dwelling in the country.

This is contained in a announcement in Abuja on Friday via the Head of Media and Public Relations Unit, NIDCOM, Abdur-Rahman Balogun.

Advertisement

Join us on Facebook

Trending